In any given year, Tabor College enrolls students from over 20 countries. As a school committed to being globally relevant, we welcome students to be a part of our community from around the globe.

Below is different information about Tabor College and the admissions process.

Admissions Process

Apply for Admission

Once your application is complete and submitted, and you have paid the $50 application fee, you will need to complete the following:

  1. Send all final transcripts – high school/secondary school & college/university (All International College/University transcripts must be sent to InCred)
  2. Send Official Transcript of the TOEFL, Duolingo, or ILETS Test
  3. Send Official Score of either the SAT or ACT (optional)
  4. Complete the International Student Data Sheet
  5. Complete the International Transfer Information Sheet (required for transfer students only)
  6. Send a declaration of finance – proof that one has the finances to pay for education (Bank Statement, Bank Letter, etc.)
  7. Submit $200 Comprehensive Deposit, Pay Online

After receipt of the above items, Tabor College will create an I-20, a document that gains an international student permission to study in the United States. You will be responsible for making an appointment with a local embassy to get an official student visa.

You will also need to complete all of the international student forms that apply and return them to our office.

What will be the cost and are there scholarships available?

Direct Costs (US Dollars) – 2024-25 Academic Year

$49,000 Total Cost (Includes tuition, housing, meal plan, student fees, and estimated medical insurance) 

Indirect Costs

  • Books & Supplies: $1,200 (approx.)

There are scholarships and grants available. Tabor does not offer any full tuition scholarships.

Health Insurance

All international students are required to be covered by the Tabor College insurance policy. The cost is $1,850 per year. Below is the student introduction letter and coverage summary.

Student Insurance Brochure

What language skills must I have?

If a student’s high school level classes were taught in English, the director of admissions or vice president may decide to waive the Test of English as a Foreign Language requirement. For all other international students, the minimum TOEFL score is 70 on the internet-based test. The minimum Duolingo score is 100. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5.


International students on an F-1 student visa are limited in the amount and type of employment they are allowed to do in the United States.

The United States government views work as a privilege for international students and they should focus on academics, instead of work while studying here. Students can contact the student success office for information on getting employment.

There are four types of work options for F-1 visa students. The first three will utilize an Employment Authorization Card. The card will be sent to the student’s address listed on the I-765 form. A student cannot work until Immigration Services has sent the card. The card is then used by the student to give to the employer as proof of their eligibility to work.

On-Campus Employment

  • Students can work part-time up to 20 hours a week while in school.
  • Students are allowed to work up to 40 hours a week during vacation periods.
  • There is no application needed to Immigration Services.

Employment does not need to be related to major.

Employment opportunities are listed in the Career Services section under work study. Students can contact Tabor’s Career Services or Financial Aid departments for information. Students may also contact Pioneer Dining Services for career opportunities in the cafeteria.

What is Kansas like?

Kansas is a state with many different climates. The spring and fall seasons are beautiful with relatively mild temperatures. Summers are warm, with the majority of the annual precipitation occurring during this period. Winters tend to be cold with an occasional mild spell and moderate snowfall amounts.

Hillsboro is located in Marion County, Kan. Wichita, Kan., is one of the largest cities in the state and is approximately one hour from Hillsboro. Wichita has shopping malls, many types of restaurants, movie theaters and other entertainment options.

There are four large cities located within driving distance of Hillsboro, Kan.

Reporting Changes

Student Exchange Visitor Information System was designed so that educational institutions can collect and report certain biographic and program information to the Department of Homeland Security within certain time frames as mandated by federal law.

Please notify Jim Paulus via email at if the following changes occur.

  • Change in Social Security Number
  • Change in non-immigrant status
  • Change of legal name
  • Change in major
  • Change in classes
  • Change in Funding
  • Leaving the United States during vacation periods
  • Withdrawal from Tabor College
  • Change in address or phone number

Staying Legal in the US

Staying in good status in the United States is very important. The United States Immigration and Citizenship Service requires students on F-1 student visas to follow certain regulations. It is easier to be proactive and stay in good status then it is to fall into bad status and correct the immigration problem.

Here is a list of recommendations for staying in good status in the United States:

  • Attend the school that is noted on the visa and I-20.
  • Keep all employment legal.
  • Keep the passport valid at all times.
  • Always enroll in a full course of study—12 hours for undergraduates and nine hours for graduate students.
  • Report any changes in academic and living arrangements. Please see “Reporting Changes” for more information.
  • When transferring schools, notify Jim Paulus so we can inform SEVIS. The new school will make sure you have spoken to your current advisor as well.

Visa Application Tips

Visa application procedures and consulate interviews vary by Embassy. However, there are some general guidelines and tips that students should be aware of when applying for a visa.

There are two steps in obtaining a visa. The first step is to fill out a DS-156 visa application form. Each Embassy is different in how they have students fill out and complete the form. For more specific information on each Embassy, go to the US Department of State’s list of Embassies and Consulates worldwide.

The second step to the visa process is the interview. Students need to arrange an interview time with the Consular Section of the Embassy. The interview is conducted by a Consular Officer. The Consular Officer has the final say on whether the student will be given a visa.

Here are some tips for a successful interview:

  • The student needs to emphasize and prove that they will return to the country of residence after a temporary stay in the United States.
  • Appropriate financial documents from family or sponsors indicating who will pay for the education in the United States.
  • I-20 form issued and completed by the school.
  • High school and college grades and transcripts.
  • Original bank statements for the past year from sponsor.
  • Proof of the sponsor’s income and investments.

Even with all of this information, it is NOT a guarantee of approval for a visa application.



We trust this will help answer your questions. If you desire further communication, please e-mail!